Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wake Up Little Susie

My wonderful husband changed jobs about 3 weeks ago. We thought it was going to change a lot of things and it has, just not like we expected. My husband used to get off work at 11:30pm. Then we would watch a movie and hang out until 2:00am. Then we would get up between 8-9am. We knew this was bad. We both felt tired and rundown. Now he works from 9-4. We have really been working hard to go to bed before midnight and wake up at 6:00am. We are making slow progress. Chad can usually fall asleep before 11:00, but has a hard time waking up. I can usually get to bed before midnight, but then I'm up around 7:00. I want to get up early to get some exercising in before the kids wake up, it is so not happening. So we will struggle on to get our bodies used to a normal sleeping pattern. Has anyone faced this before? What are your suggestions. If I take a sleep aid, even a small amount, I can't get up in the morning. I am very sensitive to stimulants and sleep aid. Almost to the point of silly, because that is how I become when I take them. I am learning that 2 years of the old pattern is not replaced in 3 weeks. Sigh. Maybe tomorrow I will feel refreshed when I wake up. Right now, I'm ready for a nap.

4 comments:

Brian and Jodi Brown said...

Krista, my husband and I are slowly getting on a good sleep schedule with our little one starting school she has to be on the bus by 7:50 so I try and be up around 6:30. That seem to be just right for me. I go to be around 11:00 and always wake up feeling rested. As for my husband. He goes to be around 11:30 sometime and wakes up at 7:00. And he always feel rested. We have always fought with waking up in the mornings. It is just a bad habit that is hard to break. But you feel a lot better after you get on a schedule. Good Luck! I feel your pain.

Sarah Sharp said...

I have never been a morning person; ask Cliff. It helps me to just exhaust myself every day for about a week when trying for an earlier schedule. Try canning and early winterizing for the home, or I always pretend it's time for Spring Cleaning. It's easier to go to bed earlier when I am just exhausted (but not in major pain), and the next week isn't as hard since I've already started the habit. If you read or watch TV in bed, set up a cut-off time, too.

Brooke said...

I suggest you try relaxation before bed. Maybe a visualization or progressive muscle relaxation. It may help you fall asleep easier and then you will get the rest you need. I have some exercises I can share if Chad doesn't have any, which I would guess he does. Maybe you still have some from your PSR days?

Amy said...

I will usually start getting up at whatever desired time i need to be up and then take a late morning nap. This seems to trick my mind into getting up in the morning but my body still gets the rest it needs. I am a complete night owl, and used to stay up until 3 or 4am just because i coudln't fall asleep. Forcing myself to get up and then taking a morning nap has helped me to fall asleep before midnight and still be able to get up earlier and start staying up.