Friday, September 11, 2009

Canning and freezing

I canned and prepared veggies for the freezer for 4 hours this morning. I'm beat. I was able to can 3 quarts of tomatoes sauce and 13 pints of carrots. Then I froze 9 cups of carrots and 5 ears of corn. Freezing veggies is a lot simpler than canning them, but it does take up space. On the other hand, canning is more time consuming, but you can store it anywhere that is relatively cool, dark, and dry. I thought I would quickly go over some how-tos because I had some people ask. First, I have a large, heavy pressure cooker. It is older than I am, and it weighs more than my children. However, it does a great job. It has a pressure gauge on it to let you know the pressure inside. You should read your instructions before operating your pressure cooker. I am not afraid of it blowing up, but I also know what I am doing. Once It reaches the desired pressure I simply turn down the heat to medium and let it cook for the proper amount of time. Beans are one of the easiest to can because you snap the ends off, snap them into smaller pieces, add salt, add water, put the lid on and pressure cook at 15lbs for 20 minutes. Carrots take a little more work. You need to peel them and then chop them in to 1/4 pieces. Then add salt and boiling water to them. Pressure cook at 15 lbs for 25 minutes. Tomatoes are still more labor intensive. You boil the tomatoes just long enough to have the skin slip off. then you cut them into chunks. After than you add hot tomatoes sauce (I use V8). Then you add salt and cook them at 15lbs of pressure for 45 minutes. You can do a lot more with tomatoes. You can cook them down and make a tomatoes sauce, spaghetti sauce, or salsa. All are great ways to use up the multiple pound of tomatoes. I made my 12 lbs yesterday into a think sauce by simmering it for 10 hours on low.

Freezing is similar in the prep work, but not in the finishing. Tomatoes can be placed on a cookie sheet whole, then frozen solid. Once they are frozen, place in Ziploc bags and store in freezer. (They sound like pool balls once they are frozen.) When you thaw them they are not as firm as fresh tomatoes, but still taste great. You can use them for tacos, or any recipe you add tomatoes to. Carrots need to be peeled and cut up. Then you need to place them into a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes. After that they need to be placed into a pot of cold water for 2 minutes. Then you are free to stick them in the freezer in whatever serving size fits you best. Corn needs to have the husk removed then boil it for about 7 minutes. Then place it in cold water for 7 minutes. Stick it in Ziploc bags and store in freezer. Zucchini can be shredded and frozen.

I encourage all those that can to look into canning and freezing produce. It sure saves money during the winter when the produce is so expensive. It also nice to know that your kids are getting healthy garden veggies throughout the whole year. Anyone that wants to learn, I will be happy to teach. i am not an expert and I know their are others that know so much more, but I willing to so my best:) I know there are web sites and stores that will teach as well.

2 comments:

Sherri Price said...

Sounds like your cupboards will not be bare this winter. That's great to get all that done and feal proud that you did it.

Sami Jo said...

Good going girlly! How did you go about your salsa? Have you posted that recipe yet? That is what I don't know about is making salsa and like tomatoe sauce. We canned a few like "chopped" tomatoes... well a ton of chopped tomatoes which later I make into sauce and cook it down with onions, garlic and seasoning so do you just do that before hand and like you said simmer for 10 hours? ... so curious... Thanks!