Friday, September 18, 2009

Life

This post is not amusing or clever. Really it's a look into my weird mind. Nothing about the kids or any fun events, so you may want to skip it. Just a warning. About a year ago I because severely depressed. By this I mean I voluntarily went to the doctor and asked for a prescription. I hate the doctor and I hate taking medication. But, things were not well inside of my head. It was a very dark place. That prescription ran out about 3 weeks ago. I have not gone to the doctor to get it refilled. I am trying to monitor myself and see how I can fix thing naturally before resorting to medication. First, it's not really working because I am having a hard time doing what I need to do. My brain is become darker and darker every day. Also I am noticing that my temper is flaring up. I used to have a terrible temper, I wanted to fight with people. Doing judo and growing up has helped me a lot in this area, but I find I am slipping. I yell at drivers who are being dumb, but are of no threat to my vehicle, I snap at my children and husband. I mentally rip myself apart throughout the day. This all equals not good. So, just going off medication is not working. I have trying to put some things is place. They are writing in a journal. I try to write a blessing journal and an activity journal. I try to focus on the good things that happen that day, especially what fun things my kids say and do. I try to write down what I did during the day. I want my kids to know I canned for 5 hours at a time or that I worked in the garden for hours. I want them to know I work hard as a mother. I also try to note my emotional state and really define it. That is harder than one thinks. I won't allow myself to just say that I am sad. I have to state what is making me sad and why it could trigger those emotions. I have to play counselor with my thoughts and sometimes it is a real pain. I also pray more. I try to tell Heavenly Father what is going on ans I beg for help to be a better wife and mother. My family does not deserve to be living with a snarly monster. I am trying to exercise more. I want the happy endorphins that exercise releases into the brain. In doing this I realize how far out of shape I am. I used to love the feel of using my muscles. No matter how long I would go between workouts, exercising was fun. Now it is just plain hard work. I feel good that i do it, but I don't enjoy it in it's self. I am contemplating finding a martial art that I can do, hopefully judo to help with my anger and work out. I have also contemplated dance or yoga. Those things can be fun and maybe I can reverse my mind set. I am making myself go to bed by 10. Thanks to all of those that made good suggestions on that post. I woke up early today. I think all of these things will help. If not, I will go back to the doctor, but I am trying other alternatives first. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Depresion sucks.... take it from some one who knows. It is a self defeating disease. The worse you get, the harder it is to try, and the more depressed you get. I am a firm believer in medication. Not that one should rely on it solely, but that it is a great tool to helping. Depression is a disease and medication is nothing to be ashamed of.

Sami Jo said...

Girl - I didn't know this was something you struggled with, I sure went through a hard time after Pauly was born and I realized I was watching too much news CNN in general and was getting super depressed about the World, economy and just in that dark place. I'm a little nervous about baby blues with #2 - I'll just have to be careful and monitor and get in the word like you said. I was totally thinking yoga might help you and I'll for sure have you in my prayers. I thinking you are being totally logical and handling this in a responsible way. (Hugs) SJ

Amy said...

I have suffered from depression for years, since I was in jr. high. I have been on and off meds and know that being on the right ones is so much better than being off them or being on the wrong ones. I don't like taking pills. I hate it. But, I finally came to terms with the fact that this is a disease that I will have my entire life, like diabetes or high blood pressure, and I need to treat it as such. I found a fabulous doctor, who listens to me, takes the time to understand my life, and is willing to help me get better. I have been on medication for almost 5 years, and I can say I'm a much better person for it. My family is better for it, my relationship with my husband is better for it. I hope that you can get through this on your own, but if you can't, treat the disease as if it were any other disease. Depression is a very physical condition, and isn't all in you head. If you need a referal for a good dr. let me know. I've suffered with this for long enough that I hate seeing other people go through it without the help they need. ~Amy