Thursday, September 10, 2009

To party or not ro party?

McKayla really wants a Halloween party. I think it mostly stems from the cool things that super cooks can do with food that she sees in the check out line. I'm impressed too. I could just imagine having a great party in our back yard with yummy treats and everyone sitting and chatting while the kids played games and entertained themselves. Then reality come to mind. The cooking for 2 days to have all of the cool goodies. Being thankful that it is Halloween food so that it doesn't have to look pretty. Trying to keep the house cleaned so that others are fooled into thinking it is always this clean. Trying to convince McKayla that she can not change costumes again. trying to decided to who want to come to a lame party at our house. Then worrying that too few/too many will show up. Hearing children fight. Then at the end of the party realizing that you were so busy that you didn't even get a chance to sit down and talk to anyone. Yet, I am still tempted. What is every one's opinion. how have you had low stress get together? Maybe it is a girl thing because my brothers manage get together all of the time and look so relaxed. maybe it's the kid factor that throws everyone for a loop. Ideas? Comments? Good therapist recommendations? ;)

6 comments:

Amy said...

Halloween parties for little kids can be a lot of fun! I'd say if you are going to do it, make sure to invite the parents as well so you aren't the only one chasing all the kids. Maybe consider having everyone bring their favorite halloween treat, then play the games at your house? We love parties at my house, and mostly, if the carpets are vacuumed and the dishes are done, no one else really notices the dust or toys!

Tina said...

I hear your pain girl! I have decided that I am a party fanatic!!! But then the stress and reality hit and I think "WHY DID I GET INTO THIS!??" lol. I say keep it low key on the food you serve. go with easy things that can be made in advance and stored. I am ALL ABOUT decorations. I always keep just the main rooms clean and close the doors to the rest!!

Sarah Sharp said...

Love the party scene, but I hate the invites because I never know if anyone will come or not. I understand where you're coming from there. I agree that you should invite the parents and have them bring a favorite treat so you aren't slaving all week long. You can also get some really great new recipes or holiday traditions that way. Can't help you on the clean house thing, but you already knew that after coming over for lunch. ;)

Sami Jo said...

No let's wait and see mom! Let's just do it... It's easy :) You'll have a ball and don't make it too complicated... You're handy! Make it a potluck and assign everyone one thing to bring to eat (maybe do just desserts or just appetizers) and then ask them to bring a game too... And everyone can set up their own games w/ party favors. FUN TIMES!

Anonymous said...

hey sis,
Rob here. The people here have it right! Go pot luck so your not killing yourself cooking. Keep it simple, remember, its for the kids, right? They will be easily entertained with games and simple snacks with a festive flair. Like I know what would know what keeps kids happy LOL!!

What are the girls going to be for halloween?

Krista said...

I want them to be thing 1 and thing 2 from the Cat and the Hat. Chad would be the cat and I would be Sally, but mcKayla is sticking to princess, again.