Friday, September 4, 2009

Lonely, I'm so Lonley

If you have seen Flushed, that song was my favorite part of the movie. I don't know why, but it amused me greatly. I was reading a blog the other day when a mom talked about how lonely she was. She talked about how she sometimes wished for those carefree days before marriage and motherhood settled on her shoulders. I also read a note on facebook from a person my age that is not married and has no children, who is very attractive that is lonely as well. My conclusion? Well, I think we are are lonely. I wonder why this is. I am a busy mother of 2. I love being a stay at home mom and I do my best to find ways to save money, teach my children, and better run our household. Yet, sometimes I am simply lonely. I think that the age of technology has replaced human interaction. Of course comments on my blog or on facebook can brighten my day. However, they are no substitute for a nice phone call or a good chat. Now, I love to walk my neighborhood. Sometimes people are in their yards and we will chat for a bit. I love connecting with those that live around me. Of course my favorite person to chat with is my best friend and love. Mr Chad is a great person. He encourages me to play Guitar Hero and listens to my silly jokes. He loves to hear my silly made up songs and encourages me to do what ever I want to do. I love to have him with me. We don't always get along, and sometimes we have miscommunication, but all in all, he his my favorite person. He is working right now and striving to receive his masters degree. At times it is hard to let him focus on these goals because I want someone to talk to. I have a feeling that many people feel the same way. So, how do we start to feel comfortable with ourselves and reach out to others? How do we start friendships that are so important to women? How do have time to sit and visit and share our woes of child rearing and house cleaning? How do we break out of the comfort zone of the Internet and have actual people over for dinner and games? It seems easy, but it is not. My question is this: What do you do? How do you faster relationships beyond facebook, twitter, or myspace. Especially those stay at home mothers, how do step outside of your comfort zone and embrace your fellow man? Or is this all just me and my insecurities about calling people up and making friends?

3 comments:

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

Part of it is attitude. I've learned a lot from my oldest, Jacob. He makes friends everywhere he goes, because he honestly can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to be his friend. They'd be lucky to have him! Try to take some of that and use it in you interactions with new people.
Also, pay attention in your ward and neighborhood. Someone needs dinner, a kind call, a little card to tell them you think they are neat-o, whatever. As you reach out to others to serve, you create oppurtunities to grow new relationships. Lastly, challenge yourself. Say you want to talk to people more and facebook them less. Next time you have a minute to sit down at the computer, choose to call a friend instead.
I like you. I think you're fun.

Sarah Sharp said...

I have a really hard time getting out of my shell. Some things that I try to do are invite a family over for FHE, dinner, or just cake. I also try to talk to one person at church that I have been too scared to meet or is new. But I am cared to death of the phone. That is something I really do need to work on.

Marie Smith said...

Wow Krista... you are right. It seems that people communicate through computer so much now, that why would anyone need to actually TALK? I generally will go out of my way to say 'Hi' to someone new at church or sit by someone different, only to later go home, over-analyze the situation, decide that they probably could take my friendship or leave it, then I go back to my shy state of being and don't talk much to them... I have probably offended a couple people doing this, but I'm working on changing. =) I also have a real good habit of telling people how much I want to see them when I'm up visiting Idaho (because I really do).. but once I get there, I'm affraid to call and make plans and affraid I will 'bother' them!