Monday, September 21, 2009

Cold

It was cold here last night. It is also going to be cold tonight. I tried to cover my garden. Okay, I confess, Chad covered the garden while I cooked dinner. I haven't gone to see the results. Do I dare look? However, what I cooked for dinner is perfect for fall. My garden my soon die and we may be buried in leaves for all of our trees, but I can start cooking winter dishes. Give it a try!

1 lb. ground beef
1.5 tsp salt divided
1/4 tsp pepper
4 med. potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 med carrots peeled and cut into slices
1 lg onion chopped (or pureed if you are me)
1 C. ketchup
1 C. water
1.5 tsp vinegar
.5 tsp basil

In a bowl. Combine beef, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; mix well. Shape into 1-inch balls. In skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs on all sides; drain. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in crock pot. Top with meatballs. Combine ketchup, water, vinegar,basil, and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over meatballs. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.

I love cold weather cooking. It makes the house smell good and it heats up the kitchen nicely too! What are some of your favorite recipes?

No comments: