Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tips To Make Your Day Go Better

I've had people ask how I find time to grind my own wheat, can my produce, and fix all my meals from scratch. I decided to write down a few tips that I use to help me get things done.
1. Plan out your days and week. Know what days you are planning to can, because it will take up most of your day. Decided when weekly chores will be done and stick to it. By dividing the chores throughout the week, it helps the to-do list seem more manageable. I live by my planner. I can jot down thing I need to do and make sure I plan time for my girls. I find that I can keep doing chores all day and not take time to read to my kids or play a game with them. I also make sure that I schedule personal time for me to exercise or read.
2. Plan your meals. Have your breakfast lunch and dinner planned out by the week. You can always fill in with healthy snack and produce through the day. That way you can go to the store and only buy what you will need and not just buy items. You should also try to plan around what is on sell and what you already have. In season produce also is something to be aware of.
3. You might take note of what items you know you use a lot of, such as cream of chicken, then when Smith's or Albertsons has their case lot sale, you can stock up and save money. This is hard for me because we have a very tight budget, but if you can do it, it saves so much time and money. I also love using coupons. They can really save up. Even if you only save $2 a week using coupons, that adds up to $104 per year of savings. Another thing I have learned is that sometimes when items are on "sale" you really don't save money. Be aware of prices so you know when something is on sale.
4. Do food prep the night before. Look at your menu and figure out what you can do the day before. I love making my waffle/pancake mixes the night before and then I set them in the fridge, so all I have to do is cook them up in the morning. I don't use pancake mixes from the store, mine is 100% whole wheat and from scratch. Also, set your meat in the fridge to thaw. It is safer to thaw it this way. Cut up and veggies or fruits.
5. Find joy in what you are doing. At times it is overwhelming to be a parent. We are all doing the best we can. I know everyone has different situations and abilities. Some moms work and others stay home. Some have older kids while some have little kids. Do what you can and be proud of what you do. I know that I feel upset when I start comparing all the "should-haves". I am grateful that I am learning things as I go.

If you have any tips that help you please feel free to let me know.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Wonderful tips girl! Thanks for sharing them!