Monday, March 8, 2010

Kindergarten

Today i am registering McKayla for Kindergarten. She is very excited, but would like to start tomorrow. She is my oldest child and I worry about her entering the public school system during a time when cuts are being made right and left. The teachers have to be discouraged, there are no supplies, and parents can't really do lot to help the situation. I know that the teachers are doing their best not to let this affect their teaching, but can they do it? I worry that McKayla will end up in a classroom with a teacher that is frustrated and doesn't want to deal with it any more. Having good teachers is so important. I had a couple of bad teachers in elementary and it was not a good thing. Somehow I figured I was stupid and a C average was all I could achieve. Then I had some great teachers during my jr high/ high school years that made me believe that I could do better than that. Oddly enough I did. I am grateful for the teachers that believed in me. Due to their belief I went on and received a degree and will some day earn a masters. However, back to McKayla. What is in store for her? How long will the Idaho government keep cutting? How will the school districts manage? I feel sad because my kids will have a less fulfilling education. Extra art or humanities will be cut, no field trips, no science experiments, no extra incentives. I have been worried about this for a while and Chad and I are going to make an extra effort to try to supplement their education. We want to be able to take them on field trips to help them further what they are learning at school. We want to try and make education exciting in any possible. I am also going to try and help out in the classroom if it is at all possible. I pray that our economy will recover soon and that education will once again be pushed to the front of the line.

No comments: