Thursday, February 5, 2009

The perfect Parent

I just got done with a lovely visit with my friend Brooke. She is great. She has had many struggles in her life, yet she turned the gospel and is an inspiration to me. She shows me over and over again how faith can make you whole. Anyway, she mentioned a topic discussed at her Stake Conference. This was being the perfect parent. It was discussed how we should model our parenting after Heavenly Father rather then the world. Our Heavenly Father gives us agency. We choose to live our lives the way we want. He set guidelines for us, but in the end it is our choice. We can blame no one but ourselves for our lives. I know some argue that they were acted upon by other people, but again that is part of agency. Others have the choice to hurt others. How do deal with loss and anger over others hurting you is another topic altogether. If interested I would suggest reading "The Peacegiver". It is a wonderful book about how to forgive others. How to relate this to my parenting? I think I need to spend more time teaching McKayla and Ariana correct principals. I need to focus on how to make good choices rather than forcing good choices. I guess I need to think about what is more important. Do I what my daughter to look perfect and follow all of my rules, all the while pushing away her independence, or do I want to guide my daughter and try to help her through her challenges and hope I have taught her correctly? Of course my kids have many more years before they can be independent, but I need to give more choices now. I need to let go of some control and learn to teach more. I can't seem to reach down into my heart and mind to bring the correct words onto this blog to express the thoughts and feelings. I hope that those of you who are reading this can understand the ramblings of a mother.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

You give me too much credit. I'm glad you enjoyed our visit. I did too.