Tuesday, February 9, 2010

TV Shows

We don't really have television. We do have TVs but they don't get any channels. So instead of paying a cable bill we choose net flicks. That way I can choose what we watch. I have trouble sleeping quite often. Really if I don't take an over the counter sleep aid, I will stay awake all night. In fact I did that on Saturday. So, I got on my computer and started looking for something to watch. I started looking at some series of shows. Now, TV shows don't have a rating and really I didn't look to close at any warnings. They first 2 shows were not appropriate. I have a difficult time coming into the modern world were TV shows do not mean appropriate shows. Anyway, I skipped through 2 of them and then I found a cute series based on the Robin Hood legend. I have always adored the story of Robin Hood from the "Prince of Thieves" (I would swoon when ever I heard the Brian Adams song from that) to the Disney version. I loved this series. It was great. Of course it had some different takes. Mariann was a little stubborn and tended to fight the evil Sheriff in her own way. Robin never expresses his feeling, thus giving the appearance of arrogance and no cares in the world. So, at 7:30 am on Sunday morning (when I should have been waking up for church) the last episode of the session starts. It starts off with Mariann dying. What! She can't die. i was sleep deprived and heart broken as I got ready for church. So, I did what any sensible person does I got on line and check out the homepage for the series and hey, she is back in season 2. Whew, I felt much better. Then I noticed that there is a season 3 and guess what? She is dead in this season. Now I am grumpy all over again because she can't die. Maybe this is why I don't watch TV. I get emotionally attached and I hate the modern thought that pain and suffering sells. Really i prefer that the hero be man enough to declare his love to the leading lady, he does what he needs to do to be the hero (making some mistakes of course) and then they live happily ever after. Chad commented that maybe by the time the third season comes around you want that character to die. I hope they don't do that to a character I hold dear. That is my rant on TV shows. They need to have ratings and they should quit messing with one of my favorite legends.

3 comments:

Sarah Sharp said...

Wow! I have missed a lot! Lots of things that I could comment on with your other posts, but I will stick to the current one.
We love Hulu and Netflix. Not only can you pause the show if someone wakes up and needs a drink of water, you can watch all kinds of shows and movies! On the flip side, you can watch all kinds of shows and movies that are REALLY bad.
I wish there was a system for shows and books to let you know whether or not they're worth your time!

Tina said...

HEAR HEAR!!!! I kinda hate modern TV. It is all sex and rude and depressing stories. I think the good guy should be awesome and win every time too!! What is the name of the series? We have netflix and LOVE it! You should check out the 'Legend of the Seeker' series on net flix. Scott and I LOVE IT!

Brooke said...

There are TV ratings. Your Robin Hood wasn't rated because it is from England. Shows that are too old also don't have ratings. I think with Netflix the best bet is to read the entire description. A lot of times there are reviews by others who have watched it - I check those out on NR things to get a feel for what I may be watching. The more you rate stuff, the more Netflix can guide you with recommendations. Helpful?