Friday, February 19, 2010

Movin Along

My husband and I had one of those long talks last night in which we discuss our lives, feelings, family, and examine our levels of balance, satisfaction and joy. We don't do this very often and really, it was not planned. My husband is an amazing guy. He has so many talents and abilities, yet he doesn't really shine forth for all to see these talents. He was a bit upset yesterday because he was asked to cover a different area at the hospital. Normally he focuses on discharges and then he fills in as needed. He was asked to fill in yesterday in the Women's Center, which deals with birth, adoption, preemie care and other things along this line. He felt very inadequate and worried all night if he had done a sufficient job. As we were talking I realized that somewhere he had lost confidence in himself. He worries about being wrong or offending others so he would rather take a neutral stance or sit back more. This revelation blew me away. Like I said, he is so talented. He is a great person to talk to, he makes a great social worker, he has a great voice and love for music, he is a wonderful father and husband, so why did he not feel confident? Then, after we talked for awhile about that, it turned to me. He said the same thing to me! I went "Huh?!" He sees me as a talented individual who doesn't put themselves out there very much. I agreed with him, but mine was more in one specific area and I know exactly why it is the way it is. At this point I know you are wondering about the point of the post. Well here it is: We have not been lifting our heads up and enjoying the journey. We have not been enjoying what we have and squeezing out fulfillment from our lives. We both have put our heads down, making one foot fall in front of the other and forgetting about recreation and fun. We both need to lighten up a little. Now, this does not mean we are going to run away on a cruise. No money in the budget for that, but rather take time for what we do have here. For example, we have an awesome exercise room. I use it about 2 a week and my husband doesn't at all. He wants to, but it doesn't seem to fit in. We both realized that we need to enjoy those weights and machines we have invested in and remember the joy of feeling fit and strong. we need to take time to walk outside and enjoy the crisp air. We need to take chances in friendship and know that we may not be accepted or it may not work out. We need to stand up and say that this life is short, and while we want to be disciplined and choose to do good things, we also need to stop and enjoy as well. We are planning many hikes and outdoor adventures this summer. We have been given so much, and we are doing our best to fulfill our obligations and commitments, but we forgot about laughter, smiling, and some times just being silly. So today I challenge everyone to take a moment to do something that makes them lift their heads up and rejoice in this journey of life. Go to a park and play with your kids (if you don't still have a lot of snow like us), finger paint, take a picture of something that makes you smile, walk outside and find a star constellation tonight, or call someone and invite them over. I am going to lift weights this afternoon like I haven't for a long time, knowing that tomorrow I will be sore, but also knowing that I can be strong and that it's not too late to be fit. Good luck and I hope you all find a reason today to laugh out loud!

2 comments:

Me :) said...

You are awesome Krista! We just had a slumber party with our kids last night in the living room. We LOVE doing that! It is definitely the little things in life that are the best.

Tina said...

Beautiful post Krista!