Thursday, February 18, 2010

Church Ideas

So, at my church we have a meeting first called sacrament in which the whole family attends and listens to speakers from the congregation talk on a specific subject. This meeting is about 70 minutes long. For little kids this is a long 70 minutes. I have noticed that both of our kids had a rough time with this stage. McKayla would just try to run away and not stay seated. Ariana tried that for awhile. Then she got the awesome idea of screaming at a really high pitched tone that caused most people around us to jump. So, I tried to be stern with her about this horrible problem and it got worse. I then realized that she was having way more fun pushing my buttons that the goodies I brought. Yes, I have complained about this before. So last week I made her a file folder game. These are so easy to do. Grab a file folder (I used old ones) and then tape or glue down the game on the inside. I did colors first. I made teddy bears in different colors, making sure that there were 2 bears of each color for matching. I taped one set of bears on the folder and then I put Velcro on top of them. Then I put the other part of the Velcro on the back of their matches. I also did a shape game for her. At first I didn't think she liked them, but she really got into it and she was learning too. McKayla wanted to have some too, but she is far beyond shapes and colors. So this week I am making one for Mckayla were she has to match uppercase letters to lower case letters. It is going to be more tricky. I also want to make one where she has to match her personal information to the title. Such as first name and she would match McKayla. The hard part is she can't read, but I hope she will learn to understand. I am thinking there is no end to this concept. I am can make as many as needed to keep the kids entertained. I another thought that I had was to make the games about church topics or stories. I have thought about a felt board or something similar, but I think this will work just fine. Do any of you have any fun games for church? We have books and church magazines to look at, coloring books and a very few toys. Another question that I have is for those of you that are LDS at what age should I start getting the Friend for McKayla? She will be 5in a couple of months and she can't read yet, but I have heard really good things about this kids magazine. Have a great day.

4 comments:

Tina said...

Definitely get the Friend. We started getting it when I became primary prez, which just happened to be the same time Amalyssa came into primary. She LOVES for me to read the stories to her and play the games and activities they have in it. Your kids will definitely enjoy it. As for Sacrament we do the file folder games too. I am sure you can do a google image search for file folder games and get a whole bunch of ideas, and maybe even some printable pages.

janis said...

Way to go, you great mom. The games sound great and yes get the Friend asap. They will love the stories. You will too, they are great teaching tools.

Sherri Price said...

Definately get the friend and read her the stories she will like it, plus they have games in there she can do. My girls collect little cards you can buy at deseret book or the free pass along cards to look at. Kinsly loves the little felt scenes like the manger scene where you can place the cow ect.. where ever you want.

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

http://www.filefolderfun.com/


Pure awesomeness.