Friday, February 26, 2010

Same Parents

I have heard that siblings can be so different and I have seen that in my family as I look at my older brothers. Somehow I thought that the differences came later in life as each made choices or had experiences to shape them. I look at my girls and I noticed that they were different right from the first day I held them. They have had different experiences growing up. McKayla had her father at home and then was bounced around to daycare. I also took her to work often, so she was just part of the work place. I decided to commit to be a full time stay at home mother 4.5 months before Ariana was born and have continued that role to the present time. However I wanted to list some of the differences and similarities that I have noticed. Not that I love one more than the other and Ariana has McKayla to help her out more, so I know that has made a difference.

In the hospital:
McKayla cried and cried. She did not want to sleep or cuddle. She wanted to up and socializing.
Ariana wanted to cuddle up with mom and sleep snuggled on my neck and chest. She also loved to be held skin to skin. She needed that physical contact.

Attitude about transitions for the first year:
McKayla simply wanted to play. She was always looking for someone to play with her. As long as she was being loved she didn't care who it was.
Ariana main thought was "where is my mom?!" That was it, she wouldn't be happy unless I was around.

Food:
McKayla likes junk food. Any junk food, she will tell you this her self.
Ariana will eat junk food, but would rather prefer to eat a hearty meal like pasta, chicken, or pancakes. She has always been a good eater (even though she is almost 2 and doesn't weigh 20 pounds yet).
On a side note: Both hate jello and apple sauce.

Waking up:
McKayla wakes up with a smile on her face and always comes and gives a hug and says good morning to us.
Ariana wakes up very grumpy. She does better if we get her a drink and then she can snuggle in bed with mom until she feels like facing the day. The new schedule is not making her happy.

Both love movies, books, and being outside. They like camping and playing in the dirt. They both love wearing dresses and being cute. They both love each other and gets very concerned when the other is upset.

I am grateful for my girls and the many lessons that they teach me. They are a blessing and I love them so much. I am a lucky mom to be able to have them to care for.

2 comments:

Sarah Sharp said...

It is always interesting to see the differences between your children, and I agree that they start at day one, if not sooner!

janis said...

They are different but that's great. Look how different our boys are.