Thursday, February 11, 2010

Praying for blessing

Like most people in the world, we are in dept. Okay, maybe more than some and less than others. Anyway, it's very stressful, but we honestly looked at our situation and realized we were not paying attention to want vs. need. In fact we were really just wanting. But, we came up with a great budget to help us get out of dept. We were feeling very good about things. We did our taxes and felt ever better. Then silly things started happening, such as my going to the dentist for my 6 month check up and a root canal later realizing rats! I still haven't scheduled to get the crown. Plus yesterday my car was dripping anti-freeze out on the ground at library time. It kind of looked like an alien from a cheesy sci-fic movie had died under my car. I was more then a little stressed. Okay, I'll admit that a threw a large tantrum yesterday afternoon over the dumbest thing. Today I noticed we received our state return. I was able to pay off all of the doctor bills (including the ones that seem to keep coming from that gallbladder surgery). Plus some extra to help the car. I was hoping that all of our tax return would go to credit card debt. It would really help, and I was disappointed that other emergencies cropped up that needed money. I felt like screaming "I'm trying to be good and do the right thing, A little help would be appreciated!" Then I realized last night as I knelt and said my prayers something I had been too busy complaining to notice: they have been answered. A month ago if I had needed dental care or the car needed some work, we wouldn't have been able to do it. Because the Lord protected us until he knew that we would have the funds to cover the emergencies that came up this month. We will still have some money to go towards our debt, but our wise Heavenly Father is teaching me how to really stick to a budget and learn the differences between want and needs. But He is also watching over us as well. I guess I was praying for blessings, but I ignoring what I was given. I am so grateful for a wonderful Heavenly Father who knows what I need better than I do.

Yes, we have a long road ahead of us that will require being financially wise and controlling our wants and being reasonable, but I am great for this lesson now. I am grateful that I can realize the blessing surrounding me and I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn how to save money. Chad and I talked and we realize that this trial is preparing us for something greater. Chad is taking a class on aging and the policies surrounding our older population. If one must rely on medicare, social security, or other governmental funds, they may be in for a shock. As he has reviewed what he is learning with me, we realize that we must plan for our older years now. We do have retirement plan, and a couple of other investments, but we need to do more to put money away not only for a rainy day, but for our future. I am getting a glimpse of how important it is to be satisfied with what we have and not want more. Cars will come and go as cars do, but our home is plenty big for the four of us. We don't need the newest, latest, or greatest to be happy. We don't need to be involved in every opportunity that comes our way. We will be better off in the future and now if we focus on our family, our religion and taking opportunities that are low cost. Rather than being entertained we are learning to entertain each other and playing together. Game night is becoming very popular for us and I am making pizza rather than ordering it for a restaurant. I plan on making other changes as well. I am excited to learn and to teach my girls. Again, I am so grateful for my blessings.

3 comments:

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

I've realized a lot of my problems managing money stem from a spirit of covetousness and ingratitude. It's hard to look at yourself and see where changes must be made, so I'm proud of you for your epiphany! It seems you two still rock. :)

Sherri Price said...

Glad you can use the money for the big bills that cropped up even if you wanted to use it somewhere eles. Here is a fun blog that takes old di stuff and makes it into pretty useful things. Check it out. www.gorgfabgoodies.blogspot.com

Tina said...

Thank you for the post Krista. Several things that I needed to hear. You are an amazing person. I really wish we lived closer!