Saturday, February 20, 2010

Schedules

So, I am a list/schedule person. You write down what you want/need to get done and then tackle it. It seems pretty simple. I don't remember a time in my life in which I didn't try to organize or write things out. I think it has served me well. Now, some may ask where I received this trait. No, it was not taught to me by my parents. They are not the list/planner type. My mother always insisted upon punctuality and participating in a lot of activities, but I don't recall her organizing her day or mine that much. I believe I was born with it. Then I married my wonderful husband. Guess what? He is not a list person. He is more of a sit back and things will get done person. He is very mellow. I have tried for almost 10 years to convert him to my listing ways with little success. However, he is really good at following lists. If I leave a list of things that need done he will do them eventually. Yep, our time tables are different too. He has taken a step toward the type A personality side by allowing me to map out his homework for him. In past semesters he has struggled with due dates and finishing projects. I didn't get it until now. His instructors are not for the type A personality. The syllabus changes weekly. Projects change when they are due, readings move all over the place. It's driving me crazy! I get it now, the syllabus was difficult to understand in the first place. Rather than weekly expectation the syllabus were grouped by project. The project would have the due dates thrown somewhere in the middle of the page of instructions. Need I say more? I spend hours trying to figure out what on earth his professors were saying and when things were due so we could write it on his calendar. Then it changes.

I really like consistency and order. I like having a purpose to the day and I love seeing my list crossed off at the end of the day. I have been tyring to write out a schedule for the kids so I can have some order here watching 6 kids. It has worked out really well. So, I started writing out a schedule for today for the family. Then last night I realized something. Saturday is the only day where they don't need a schedule. We don't have a lot to get done, and there is no need to be so organized. I will organize myself, but seriously everybody else should get a break from the schedule. See, I can lighten up a little. I want my kids to be a good blend of me and my husband. I want them to appreciate organization and see how it can help life, but I also want them to be spontaneous like Chad and sometimes just be able to relax and enjoy the feeling of being alive.

2 comments:

Sherri Price said...

I like lists too! I forget what I need to do if I don't write it down. Have a fun realxing Saturday!

Eric and Tracey said...

I guess I'm a good blend of you and Chad already. I like lists but don't feel bound to it so much. It helps me stay on track, but I don't ever set times on my lists. You're so good!