Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Frusterating

Remember when I posted about a play group? McKayla was so excited and so was I. I thought it was a great way to get to know other people and allow McKayla to play with other kids. Problems: No one has shown up in the last three weeks. This week I didn't tell McKayla that kids were going to come over. When no one shows up she is very upset. i can't say that I blame her. I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe people will want to do it after the holidays? I'm not sure what I am doing wrong? I had some ideas for the groups such as having story time, game time, and a craft, so there is more structure, but I don't want to plan everything out unless I know people are coming. How do I get my child involved with other children so that she can learn to play with kids her own age? I can't really afford pre-school, but I am wondering if I need to. Yet my nieces didn't go to pre-school and they are all socially wonderful, well adjusted kids. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Sarah Sharp said...

I wish we could come and play! :( Maybe next year. You are doing a great job socializing your girls, even if you don't feel like it. You do lots of trips with them to fun places, like the library for story time. That is definitely socializing, because the girls see how you and the other moms and children act. Honestly, the only reason we did preschool for both Nadia and Brandon is because they had seperation issues and needed to see that mommy really does come back when she said she would.
I bet a big part of the playgroup not going great the last few weeks is because of the holidays. I bet if you got it started again in mid January , you'd have some takers.

Brooke said...

Make sure that everyone who you invite to the group knows it is a weekly thing. You might want to make sure people understand what you are setting up and that it wasn't a one time deal. I'd also say do the activities anyway. You are doing great!