Thursday, March 12, 2009

What's the Rating on This Book

I think there should be ratings typed on book just like there are on movies. I am so disappointed when I get a book and find out it's not appropriate. It really bugs me. What's worse is then I worry that people think I actually read that junk. Not so much. I went to the book store to buy some books because I needed a little fun. I saw some books in a series and bought two of them. I asked the sales person if they has read them and they hadn't. I quickly read a few pages, and they look okay. When I got home and started to read the first book I was appalled. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but considering that the book was about high school students I was not impressed. Lucky for me the book store has a policy that you can return book with the receipt up to 14 days after purchase. I guess I will go and try again. But, all of this could be avoided if there were ratings on books. Plus, the reader could see what causes that rating. For example, there are some PG-13 movies I won't see because of the material. It could be the same way with books. I know I am not the first to think of this idea, honestly why hasn't it happened? I think of some of the books I see young people reading and I can't help but wonder if there were ratings on the books would the parents be okay with letting them read it. I love the Twilight series. I'm not going to lie, but when I see 12 year old girls reading it, I'm a little worried. It's an adult type book dealing with adult issues. Granted I realize that the youth of today are more desensitized than I am. They read and see things that I find inappropriate. Yet, everyone accepts this as okay. Shouldn't we be protecting out kids from inappropriate things? Shouldn't we be teaching them correct principles so that they don't seek out that stuff? Granted kids will be kids and I understand that. What I don't understand is the adults approval of this as the new way of life. It all goes back to parents being parents and standing up to "societal norms". All right, I will get off my soap box. Lastly, if there could be ratings on books to help me not read what I shouldn't that would be helpful too! I hate a double standard and I want my kids to know that I practice what I preach.

2 comments:

Sarah Sharp said...

I soooo agree with this post! It is getting so much harder to find books at the library! Or you hear how great some book is, only to start reading and thinking, "Yeah, it would be great if you took out this part, and that sentence is just crass and why does she have to say this word all the time?"
And the whole parenting thing... Isn't that part of being a parent? Putting aside your own needs and comfort at times to give them what they need? And actually staying involved in their lives so you know what they need?
You get on that soapbox whenever you want, because I am right there with you!

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

I'm with you! The Twilight series bothers me quite a bit, especially because it is marketed as young adult fiction. When I read the intro to the last book, all about (and I'm paraphrasing) "what if the person you loved could kill you? Would you stay..." blah blah blah. I almost lost it. There's a good idea-tell young girls that its not love if its not suffering. Tell them if you really love someone you risk yourself and your life. Tell them sex is so great a little pain is nothing. Stupid Stephanie Meyer. If someone points out how great it is that she's an LDS author, I just might loose it.