Monday, March 9, 2009

Stories!

So, my friend Marie asked me to tell the story about my history paper. I like this story. Growing up my brothers would tell conspiracy theories around the camp fire. One of those theories was about a cover up at the INL (Or whatever it is called these days). In 1961 there was a nuclear accident resulting in the death of three men. The details were fairly gruesome, but interesting. However, there was some speculation that the bodies were never given to the families because the families couldn't do near them due to the radiation. I was able to research the accident, talk to people that were alive at the time and interview some of those working out at the INL. The paper was the first to go into detail about the accident. It also demonstrated how people in America were starting to distrust the government. The idea of the government watching out for the people were beginning to fade and the argument for no secrets were starting to rise. Thus we see the attitude of the 60s coming out. I was asked to go to a historians conference in Washington to deliver this paper. I loved doing it and at that point in my life I was a scholar.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Oh I missed the lies post too! Bummer! That would have been fun to see if I could guess the lies. I remember you were quite into history. Do you remember that we met in a history class?? At least I think it was... LOL

Sarah Sharp said...

That is amazing! I never would have guessed you were such a history buff to write a paper and actually present it! Again, all I can say is AMAZING!