Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Roof, The Roof, The Roof Is On Fire

Before saying too much more, I am taking full responsibility for the following incident. Background story, my parents bought my kids some banana chairs for their birthdays. These chairs came in big boxes. We thought that the boxes would be fun for the kids to play in . Last night the kids were fighting over the boxes, so Chad stuck them in the corner by the fireplace, he wasn't planning on making any more fires this season. Today, I thought I would do some spring cleaning and burn some confidential papers. I lit up the fire. I watched it for about 15 minutes. Then I went to fold some laundry. Chad was at the computer doing some homework. I told him that I smelled a lot of smoke, which was odd because it should have been done burning. He turned around and the cardboard box on the outside of our stove had heated up enough to catch fire. I ran upstairs to get the fire extinguisher. Chad put the fire out with the extinguisher. (Thanks Steve and Janis for buying us that). The powder made a huge mess, and our house was filled with smoke. We opened every window and cleared out for about 2 hours. When we came back, we were so grateful that the house didn't burn down. However, the carpet has some very large burn marks in front of the stove, there is a powdery film all over everything. We tried to use a shop-vac to clean it and it just blew it out because the powder is so fine. We will be calling our insurance on Monday to get an estimate. Until then, the kids can't be downstairs. I don't even know where to start to clean. Should I clean it, or should I wait until after the insurance looks at it? We were so very blessed that we had only the small amount of damage that we did. We are blessed that Chad and I were both home and downstairs. We are blessed that we had a fire extinguisher. We are blessed that no one was hurt. We are blessed to have good friends to go to while our house aired out. They also came back with us to check out the damage. I took these photos shortly after it was put out.



8 comments:

el hyme said...

Makayla was smokin cigs wasn't she!

Brooke said...

I commented on Chad's facebook wall. Holy people, no boxes by fire places ever! I am so glad you weren't hurt & that you don't have more damage. Yikes.

Brooke said...

Ok, wait. . . why is this post called "the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire"? Did I miss the part where the roof was on fire? Shouldn't it be, "the box, the box, the box is on fire", or "the floor, the floor, the floor is burning!"? I'm just saying. . .

Brooke said...

Ok, last comment. . . I think. Smoke detectors?

(I'm just worried about you guys. Love ya! Glad you are okay.)

Sherri Price said...

Good gravy! How scary! Probably doesn't smell too good. I'd probably wait to get too clean until the insurance comes. That's good you took some pictures to document. We did that when we had our flood. They also like to get their own pictures too when they come.

Sarah Sharp said...

You are more than welcome to come over any time this week and let the girls play while you take care of the downstairs. I can help you clean up a little later in the week, too. I am so glad that you are all okay!

beckie harward said...

I am so glad you had the fire extinguisher!!! very smart. I am so happy you are all ok. I think I'll be buying a few extinguishers for our house this week!

Marie Smith said...

I was kind of laughing when I read this post... sorry. I was laughing with you though, not at you- well that is IF you are laughing. =) Isn't life so exciting at times??? I am happy to know everyone was okay, and safe!