Friday, January 30, 2009

Ariana in her own bed

Well, I got tough yesterday. I found a solution to Ariana's sleeping arrangement that I can live with. I did not like leaving her in her bed to cry it out. I know some people do this method and that is great, but I can't handle it. Plus Ariana can cry it out for over an hour. Yes, I tried it. So, yesterday I allowed her to fall sleep in my bed and then I moved her to her own bed in her room. She woke up every time. However, rather than picking her up I rubbed her back or tummy and had her lay down. I guess it is a mixture of crying it out. I don't want to pick her up, but I won't leave her there to scream either. It is time consuming and hard. However, I know I need to be consistent and it will work. Because I am not willing to shut her door and leaver her, I have to be willing to be in her room to calm her. It is going to take awhile to break her habit of sleeping in my bed. However, that habit has been 9.5 months in the making. I believe that this new habit will take a long time to replace the old. I'm hopping not 9 months, but I will have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Sarah Sharp said...

We've had the same problem with all 3 of ours. I think your method is best. It is sooo important to let them learn how to fall asleep and go back to sleep when they wake up at night! It will definitely be rough for a few nights, but it does work if you're consistent!