Friday, October 9, 2009

God Said

I really couldn't think of another title for this post. Really it's not irreverent, I promise. My family and I are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Common names are LDS or Mormons. Anyway, we are a very religious family and we have faith that our lives are in the hands of a loving Heavenly Father. Sometimes it's not easy having faith. I know this is true for members of any faith and the general population. We have trials! Some are big huge explosions that rip our world apart and others or small every day trials. It's the small everyday trials that I find wearing me down. Chad tries to do 4-6 hours of homework everyday on top of working full time. That leaves me with the house work, yard work and child care. Most days I think I have things under control, but some days I wonder why we are putting ourselves through this torture. My husband and I have come up with the saying "God Said!" Think of it in the tone that a child would use saying, "mom said". It's that all powerful thing to say to a sibling. To us this means that we are doing what we feel is right. We are encouraged to get an education. At some point, I too will go back to school and receive my Master's degree. We feel that I need to be home with the kids. I have nothing against daycare and those that use them. We just had some rotten luck with our oldest in daycare. She had a lot of problems that have gotten better since I started staying home with her. 5 years ago I would have never seen myself as a stay at home mother. Now I can't see myself doing anything else. Of course I miss the kids I worked with, my co-workers, and the parents, but my kids need me. There are times when I just want to run away and hide, but God Said. We find comfort that we are traveling the path that we need to. We are learning to find joy in the journey. It is tough and it always will be. We try not to focus on the future when things will magically get better, we know this will never really happen. Instead we focus on what is and placing one foot in front of the other.

1 comment:

Sarah Sharp said...

You are right. It's not always easy doing what our Heavenly Father expects us to do, but it will be worth it! I really love that quote from Elder Wirthlin, "Come what may and love it". Sure, things are hard, but we can still find good and enjoyable things in times that are rough. We will never have the "perfect" life, so why not take the time to enjoy what we do have instead of whining and complaining about what we don't?