Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Motto

I remember when I first started working with children with disabilities we had a saying: do what you say, say what you mean, and don't be mean. I thought it was an odd quote but I find that as adults we have a harder time adhering to this than we should. How many times have I promised McKayla that she could have a friend over and then I don't ever make the call. McKayla is a pretty good kid and I can't help but wonder if she will continue to be so good if I keep saying random things that I don't follow through on. The next part of saying what you mean is vital too. If it is said certain rules are to be abide by then they should. We can't expect our children to simply know when the rules have changed. If I tell my kids that we are saying prayers every night but then on nights where I just want them in bed decide not to do it, a conflicting message is sent. The last part is humbling. How often do I snap at my little children? How often do I wish I could be anywhere but at home? We tell our kids to share and play with others but do we do that with them? Today I am going to make it a point to invite a friend over for McKayla. I will also make sure that I say what I mean and follow through. I only have them for a short time and I feel these instructions are vital.

1 comment:

Sarah Sharp said...

So very true! Unfortunately, the kids and Cliff are VERY good at catching me when I say something and then don't follow through. I don't always realize what a big deal it is until later. Something I am still working on and another reason why I want to be more like you. ;)