Monday, September 13, 2010

Being Present

So, I'm reading this book about people's relationship to God themselves and food. A friend gave it to me awhile ago and I am just now sitting down to read it. I must admit that it is a pretty good book. I discusses overeating as a mask for emotional problems. Anyway, there is no way to summarize the entire book, but I did want to touch on one point. Part of the book talks about being present in the now. It discusses how often our minds start to race with all of the to do of the future and the regrets of the past. When we do this we are simply not living in the now. I thought about this and realized how true it is. When I wake up I instantly think about the next five thing I need to do and while I am doing those things I am thinking of the next and so on. This book talks about taking a deep breath and coming into the now. Take time to realize that you're not simply cooking another blasted meal but taking time to enjoy preparing it. Today I have made an effort to do that. As I was hauling wood I focused on feeling outside and enjoying the warmth of the sun. I felt the strength in my body and I smelled the sweet smell of grass. While I cleaned the oven today I put on some fun music to dance to. I tried to really enjoy my life. I tried to enjoy every minute rather then simply looking forward to another time. It has been a good day. When I feel my mind start to race I take a deep breath and remind myself that I become exhausted when I do that. I really have felt great today. Come and join me in the now.

No comments: