Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mercy Vs. Justice

Have you ever had something/someone upset you so bad that midnight vandalism seemed like a good idea? This happened to us yesterday. We had an experience at a local business that left Chad and I so angry that I was contemplating several courses of action. 1 was to go back to the place, leaving the children in the car and give them a piece of my mind. I have learned to control my temper over the years, but it came back full force yesterday. Another option was to ask to speak to a manager and demand that we not pay for part of the service. Vandalism was brought up in the conversation, but only as a "it would be fun except for that pesky conscience I have". Lastly, I thought about blogging the entire experience and encouraging people to not go to this business and to pass the word along to all friends and family as to really get back at the business. I was still upset about this late last night. Then I looked at the picture of the Savior and I had an interesting experience. The Holy Spirit speaks to me in a very funny way sometimes. Mostly I think the Spirit speaks to me and my brain changes it so I am sure to listen up. At the end of a chastising conversation I realized that I must be meek and get over it. I will not do anything against this company, (not even vandalism), because I cannot. I don't have to take my business back to the place, but I can't try to "get revenge" so to speak. As mercy is extended unto me, I must extend it unto others. Justice only seems like a good idea until you realize that there are times when others may have wanted to seek justice against you. At that time mercy seems to be the answer. I am still upset over the whole situation, but I have a sense of peace. I will let it go, granted I won't ever go back to the place, but I will not waste my time fueling contention.

4 comments:

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

It's a hard lesson to learn. Its hard to find a balance between the two, just as its hard to find a balance between forgiveness and just good common sense--for example, you can forgive someone who wronged you, but you don't have to expose yourself to getting hurt again.
I owe the Subway in Plymouth Ut an apology. They made me really mad in the summer of 2001, and I still tell people not to go there. I will consider myself properly chastised. :)

Sarah Sharp said...

All I can say is that you are a much better person than I, Krista. I would have been trying to justify the vandalism or harsh words instead of just letting go of my angry feelings. Thank you for reminding me that we need to think more about mercy than(my)judgement.

Brooke said...

This is torture to me. Yes, I see the point. Yes, it is a good lesson. Yes, I agree, you can't get revenge. However, I would really like to know what it was the ticked you off in the first place. Even if you don't say the name of the business. Did they cut off Chad's ear during a hair cut? Did your dry cleaning shrink two sizes? Did you get overcharged at lunch? Inquiring minds (my mind) want to know. :)

Brooke said...

Another interesting point. . . I left my comment at 10:16 but this says 9:16. Have I been ahead an hour all day? Or, is Google behind an hour? Hmm. . . time for bed. :)