Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How Cool Is That?

So, my mother in law bought me a small pressure cooker about 3 years ago. I was used to using a giant one for canning. It weighs about 50 lbs and has a gauge on it. The one my Mother in law gave my was a little bigger than a normal pot and had no gauge. I tried to use it once, but I freaked and and was afraid I burnt the chicken, which I did. I have finally gotten brave and I have masted the little pressure cooker. I learned that if have to leave those things alone. These little gems making cooking so easy. You can cook raw carrots in no time. I have used it to cook small whole chicken and when I am done the meat falls off the bone. I have also used it to cook the cheap hard beans in about 30 minutes to use in recipes. If you don't have one, but cook a lot, I encourage you to get one. My mother in law is off on an adventure that will last for about 6 more months, so thought I would blog about the pressure cooker and tell THANK YOU. She is such a smart lady.

Some more details of what I do with it and the time to cook. Note the time to cook starts after it starts to make the funny noise and I turn the heat to medium to finish.

Cooking turkey or chicken: About 20 minutes more if it is on the bone or there is a lot.

Cooking hard beans: How 30 minutes. The other night I did it for 20 then added tomatoes, onions, spices and hamburger to make chili. Then I pressure cooked again for 15 minutes to blend the flavors.

Veggies cook really fast.

Just a thought, it really speeds up cooking time and you can do so much with it.

1 comment:

Eric and Tracey said...

Thanks for the reminder! I have one of those around some where... I might have to pull it out now that I'm going to be gone a lot more.