Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Oops!

I normally try to be pretty neutral about my religion as I love my friends that are of a different faith as much as I love my LDS friends. However, I have to give some religious background so that you can get the full scoop of my embarrassment. So bear with me. In our religion we have temples that we go to. There we covenant with the Lord and receive blessings. Not only do we do this for ourselves, but we do it for the dead as well. Now, just because we do it for the dead doesn't mean that they have to be LDS. Heavenly Father would never make someone be LDS. Think of it as a gift card that you can use if you want. It's all about agency. So, it is a sacred setting. Anyway, my husband and I had the opportunity to go the temple last night. We decided to do sealings. This means that we stood in as proxy for husbands and wives and were sealed for time and all eternity for them. Anyway, we were in the middle of this when I started not feeling well. Yep, I passed out. Then, Chad had me sit by him and I passed out again. I was very embarrassed. They called the doctors and nurses to come and help me. Funny thing about passing out, you dream. It feels very weird to wake up from a dream and be in the temple, when you expect to be in bed. It really throws off your perspective on things. I asked Chad how long I was out and he said 30 seconds max, so how did I have a dream that felt like I was asleep for hours? I am still embarrassed, but I know that no one looks down on me for this. The temple workers were so kind and caring. I guess it could have been worse, but I felt like I ruined a very special experience. Anyone else ever pass out during a special occasion? Or is it just me?

4 comments:

Tina said...

I have heard of lots of people passing out during sealing sessions. In fact I was in one when the woman who was being proxy passed out. I think it is something about all the kneeling. Anyway... don't feel too embarrassed. I am sure it is not new to them. (p.s. I LOVE the gift card analogy... so appropriate!)

Sarah Sharp said...

Tina is right, it happens more often than you think. I have seen two faintings while doing sealings. I think it is the closed room which always seems to get a little too warm, and lots of kneeling.

Natalie said...

I actually can't do sealings because I always get close to passing out. Like Sarah said, it's warm and you have to kneel a lot. You're not alone and shouldn't be embarrassed.

JLove said...

It's not the only place that patrons have passed out. The temple workers have seen it all, including a worker passing through this earthly veil to the other side, while taking a part in the ceremony.(pre film days)They are equiped. Love the card analogy too.