Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Choices

My oldest is playing tball right now. I have a new decision to make. I have spent the last 4 years teaching this child to say please, thank you, and allow others to go before her. I'm big on manners. I must say that sometimes she remembers to use those manners. Okay, she really is a polite and nice child. Now we are playing tball. Yesterday the ball would come to her, and another team mate would steal the ball from her. She is not as fast or as aggressive as others. So, do I teach her to stand her ground and fight for the ball or walk away and try to forget it? She was so frustrated yesterday that she started to cry. I tried to tell her last night to tell her coach that she was frustrated and ask for help. Again, I don't want to her to tattle, but I don't want her to be a door mat. On the other hand that girl is tough. She got hit in the chest with the ball yesterday. I heard the sound from the impact, but she didn't cry. I tried to give her a hug, but she told me that she didn't need one. I replied that I needed one, so she gave me one to make me feel better.

3 comments:

Sami Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sami Jo said...

Oh poor baby! Those darn kids steeling the ball from her. I would just tell her that when she sees the ball coming to her to yell out "I got it" and get it! Don't be afraid and tell her everyone is on the same team and are there to help eachother. What a tough girl not to cry - you're so cute about the hug. You sound like such a fun mama. I wish we lived closer! (my first post had too many misspelled words - I had to fix it :)

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

One doesn't have to be impolite to assert oneself, and now is as good a time as any to teach her that. I would speak to the coach in addition to having her role play at home so she knows what to do next time. Have Chad throw the ball to both of you and you be the mean girl and let her practice asserting herself.
If you do take my advice, would you film it? I think it will be good for your daughter but also really fun to watch.