Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pain and Smiles

Some of you may know that I did Judo for awhile when I was in college. I really liked it. I wasn't great at it, but still I found the formal instruction fascinating. I remember flexing in the mirror and being proud of my strength. 8 years and 2 kids later I will admit I don't flex much anymore and looking at my body in the mirror is a no-no. However, thanks to my fabulous daughter I am again taking a martial arts class. It is not Judo because I couldn't find one in town, but I am taking Tae Kwon Do. That first class was so hard. I knew I was walking into an unfamiliar situation and I was worried. McKayla reassured me that it would be fun and that I would love it. Easy for a 6 year old to say! I woke up sore after my first class. Not as sore as I have been in the past, but still sore. However, with the sore muscles I feel a pride in myself that I did it. I can be strong again and be proud of myself. I don't think I will ever be as driven or crazy about this sport as I was about Judo, but I still like it. I am stuck with it for the next 7 weeks, so I will let you know how I feel.

No comments: