Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Movies and Books

When my children were born I came up with a nickname from a children's book that I thought suited them. In both cases it has. McKayla was my Wild Thing from the story Where the Wild Things Are. I have read this book to her since she was born. She Can be wild, but has now grown more social. Ariana was deemed Caterpillar from the book The Very Hungary Caterpillar. This too has deemed to be true. She love to snack and have whatever you are having. Despite her tiny size, she really can eat.

Imagine my pleasure when I learned that McKayla's book had been turned into a movie. I thought it was wonderful. We were both very excited about going to see it. McKayla saved up all of her money to go see it on the big screen. Lucky for us, Chad had free tickets from work and they didn't charge us for the girls. So we went last night in great anticipation. McKayla noted that the movie was not quite it. And in fact she was correct. It followed the book, but took the simple story into complex twist and psyche. There were many levels of mental awareness and understanding that went on in the movie. Really, it went from a fun, imaginative book, to child learning to cope with the changes of life movie. McKayla still said that she liked it, but I don't believe it is one that we will choose to own.

1 comment:

Sarah Sharp said...

I hate when Hollywood does that. why do they think they can make a story, which isn't even theirs, "better"? It just drives mr crazy.